Italy / Greece - July 5

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Kicking up some serious volcanic ash on Mount Etna!

Tackling the relentless inclines of a volcano on mountain bikes was every bit as rewarding as it was challenging. After some operation and safety instruction from our expert guide Pepe', we strapped on our helmets and headed for the hills. Our trek began at an elevation of 5,100 feet at our rustic lodge, Rifugio Ariel. Pedaling upwards, we quickly learned that knowing how to operate the gears is a MUST if you plan on keeping yourself upright. After some early struggles, we settled into our seats and climbed, climbed, climbed!


The volcanic landscape was breathtaking and we stopped several times to take in the panoramic views. After climbing to nearly 6,000 feet, we decided it was time to give our legs a break and we descended, wind in our faces and dust at our backs. It was the perfect introduction to Mount Etna, one of Europe's most active volcanoes. What an experience!

Cara Boxer

Me and my friends have always wanted to go an adventurous bike ride, so when I found out we were going to bike ride up Mount Etna I knew I would enjoy it. It may have been one of the hardest things in my life, but the experience was worth every ounce of pain I felt. When I look back on it now, I can officially say I will never forget any of the memories that I shared with everyone on this trip. I wanted an adventure and I definitely got what I asked for!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Programs Details

Duration 15 days
When July 5 - 19, 2010
Focus Conservation Biology
History/Culture
Earth Science/Volcanology